Reports & research
Sites to find further reading and research on various methods and approaches to work outdoors.
BEN publications & resources
BEN (Black Environment Network) works to enable full ethnic participation in the built and natural environment. There are dozens of key articles and papers on the website, addressing various aspects of access to the environment for black and minority ethnic groups, all available to download for free.
Subject areas include: Ethnic Environmental Participation, BEN Green Space Focus Group, Reports, People and Historic Places, Engaging Ethnic Communities in Natural and Built Heritage, Ethnic Communities and Green Spaces, Good Practice Case Studies.
Outdoor Education Research A-Z
Massive archive of links to hundreds of pieces of ‘research in the fields of Adventure Education, Outdoor Education, Outdoor Learning, Experiential Education or Friluftsliv’, including ‘provocative writing’, literature reviews, articles, reports & dissertations, journals and discussion lists, created by Dr Roger Greenaway.
Outdoor Experiences for Young Children ERIC Digest.
‘Considers the rationale for outdoor experience among young children and the reasons for its decline in popularity. It also presents arguments for enhancing school and center playspaces and provides guidelines for developmentally appropriate outdoor design.’ With full and thorough research references.
ERIC Digests (short reports on education topics), December 2000.
Other relevant reports available on the ERIC Digests website include:
- Outdoor Education: Definition and Philosophy, 1986
- Outdoor Education and the Development of Civic Responsibility, 1999
- Outdoor Education and Environmental Responsibility, 1997
- Outdoor Education and Troubled Youth, 1995
- Outdoor, Experiential, and Environmental Education: Converging or Diverging Approaches? c2002
- Establishing an Outdoor Education Organization, 1986
- Place-Based Curriculum and Instruction: Outdoor and Environmental Education Approaches, 2000
- Recommended Competencies for Outdoor Educators, 1996
- Teaching Environmental Education Using Out-of-School Settings and Mass Media, Cognitive Learning in the Environment: Elementary Students, 1987.