Make your own wooden threading disc - an activity and a decoration all in one! Makes a great children's woodworking activity.
What you'll need
- wooden discs
- palm drill
- threading laces or similar
This activity has been provided by
Useful items from our shop
Consider the environmental impact of preparing, carrying out & completing this activity. Could this impact be reduced? Specific considerations for this activity could include:
- source of wood
Health & Safety Considerations
Follow your usual operating procedures and carry out appropriate risk benefit assessments.
Some considerations particular to this activity include:
- tool use
Step #1 Draw design on your disc
Choose a simple design and plot spots on the outline where you will drill a hole. Think about where the thread will go on the design.
Look at our Threading Decorations product if you want some ideas.
Step #2 Drill the holes
Using a palm drill create holes that go right through the wooden discs. Look at our drilling a wooden disc activity for top tips!
Don't forget to drill a hole at the top if you want to hang up your threaded disc.
Step #3 Thread your decoration
Use threading laces or make your own laces with coloured wool (put a bit of tape around the ends for easy threading).
Add a loop of ribbon, wool or string to hang your decoration up.
Take it further
- Use for fine motor activities
- Give it away as a little prezzie
- Make several decorations and hang them on your Christmas tree, or a pot plant, or use unbent paperclips and hang them from a tinsel garland
- Decorate your favourite tree outdoors - you could do this for Tree Dressing Day on the first weekend of December
- What other shapes or pictures could you create using threading?
Disclaimer: Muddy Faces cannot take any responsibility for accidents or damage that occurs as a result of following this activity.You are responsible for making sure the activity is conducted safely.