Snow brick shelter
Build a winter den with snow bricks.
What you'll need
- plastic ice cream tubs, recycling boxes or similar
- branches, long sticks or willows
Vicki Stewart - Brightwood Training
Useful items from our shop
Consider the environmental impact of preparing, carrying out & completing this activity. Could this impact be reduced? Specific considerations for this activity could include:
- permission of landowner to build
Health & Safety Considerations
Follow your usual operating procedures and carry out appropriate risk benefit assessments.
Some considerations particular to this activity include:
- wear appropriate footwear and gloves
- awareness of wall strength/weakness
Decide where you are going to build your snow shelter and clear the ground if needed.
Fill the plastic tubs with snow and compact them down.
Turn over the tubs and lift them off, so the snow stays like a sandcastle.
Place your snow bricks all round your foundations.
Layer the snow bricks on top of each other to build up the walls.
If you can, make a snow brick archway for your roof, or try willows or branches covered in blankets to finish off the top.
Take it further:
- decorate with natural materials
- go miniature and make a small world snow shelter!
- if you haven’t got any snow then use a white sheet or some white camo netting to make a snow cave den.
Disclaimer: Muddy Faces cannot take any responsibility for accidents or damage that occurs as a result of following this activity.You are responsible for making sure the activity is conducted safely.