Mud kitchen ingredients
Spruce up your mud kitchen with our 'shopping list' of ingredients and activity ideas.
What you'll need
Scroll down for a list of mud kitchen ingredients to get you started.
This activity has been provided by
Useful items from our shop
Consider the environmental impact of preparing, carrying out & completing this activity. Could this impact be reduced? Specific considerations for this activity could include:
- forage & collect natural materials responsibly
Health & Safety Considerations
Follow your usual operating procedures and carry out appropriate risk benefit assessments.
Some considerations particular to this activity include:
- using natural materials
We've grouped our mud kitchen ingredients into three categories:
- natural materials
- bits from the kitchen
- seasonal ingredients
- water (a MUST or you can go dry!)
- flowers/petals from fading flowers
- pebble & rocks (you could paint them to look like veg)
- wooden discs (we tried painting some with acrylic pens - great if you are going dry for a bit)
- ask supermarkets to donate out of date flowers to use for perfumes & potions.
Bits from the kitchen
- lemon & ginger
- recycled tea bags
- dried herbs
- fresh herbs
- vegetable peelings (try sieving through tea strainers)
- beetroot - make some pink water
- vinegar & bicarbonate of soda to add a bit of fizz!!
Dandelions & daisies
Fresh herbs like chives, lemon balm, lavender and mint - herbal tea anyone?! Elderflowers, wind blown plums/fruit
Berries, autumn leaves, conkers
Snow and ice
Lashings more mud on the Outdoor Hub!
We have a massive mud section filled with more muddy ideas.
in our shop
Lots of lovely ingredients for your mud kitchen. When the children have made one too many mud pies and the flower bed you allocated for the mud kitchen has run dry, this section should offer some great alternatives.
Disclaimer: Muddy Faces cannot take any responsibility for accidents or damage that occurs as a result of following this activity.You are responsible for making sure the activity is conducted safely.