Autumn leaf wand
A simple-to-make leaf wand for ushering in the autumn fairies.
Useful items from our shop
- Acrylic Pens - Pack of 5
- Glue - Waterproof
- Liquid Chalk Pens - Pack of 5 - 15mm (Broad Nib)
- The Stick Book - Fiona Danks & Jo Schofield
Consider the environmental impact of preparing, carrying out & completing this activity. Could this impact be reduced? Specific considerations for this activity could include:
- leave no trace
Health & Safety Considerations
Follow your usual operating procedures and carry out appropriate risk benefit assessments.
Some considerations particular to this activity include:
- collecting natural materials
What you'll need
- collected leaves & sticks
- sticky stars
- wool or twine
- paint & brushes or acrylic pens
- waterproof glue
This activity has been provided by
Collect thin sticks, about the thickness of your little finger, straight or wonky, and autumn leaves – all sorts of shapes and colours.
Decorate your leaves – there are lots of ways you can do this:
- paint them
- use acrylic or chalk pens
- stick on some sticky stars
- cut out star shapes from brightly coloured leaves and stick them on (see our leaf decorations activity).
While they are drying, go on to step #2.
Decorate your sticks using stickers, paint or chalk pens, or use wool to wrap patterns around them.
Once it’s dry, attach your decorated leaf to the end of the stick.
Wrap the stalk end of the leaf to the end of the stick using wool, string or wire.
You may need to use a blob of glue to help it stay in place, but the tying alone should hold it in place.
Use your wand for leafy spells and magic!
Take it further:
- create poems or songs for spells
- those with nimble fingers could whittle grooves into the stick before attaching the leaf
- reduce moisture loss from the leaf, which could make it brittle, by painting it with glue.
Disclaimer: Muddy Faces cannot take any responsibility for accidents or damage that occurs as a result of following this activity.You are responsible for making sure the activity is conducted safely.