Campfire play set - make your own
Using loose parts to create a set up for campfire cooking, ideal for any mud kitchen or den area.
Useful items from our shop
- Construction Pole - 110cm
- Chains for Bon-Fire Tripod
- Coloured Cotton String
- Campfire Play Set
- Extra Small Carabiner
- Balti Dish
Consider the environmental impact of preparing, carrying out & completing this activity. Could this impact be reduced? Specific considerations for this activity could include:
- leave no trace
Health & Safety Considerations
Follow your usual operating procedures and carry out appropriate risk benefit assessments.
Some considerations particular to this activity include:
- using lengths of string/chain
What you'll need
- 3 or 4 sticks/poles/tubes approx. 1 metre in length
- lengths of chain/rope/string
- a bowl/colander with handles
- a pile of sticks and leaves to make the 'fire' underneath.
- selection of cooking pots
This activity has been provided by
Set up your tripod/tetrapod (experiment with using 3 or 4 legs).
Fasten it at the top.
- think about your choice of sticks/poles
- consider providing poles with a hole through one or both ends to provide anchors for tying (see our drilling a pole activity or buy Muddy Faces den poles)
- if the ground is soft, stick the base of the poles in to help support the structure
- we experimented with holding tubes together with a ball bungee
- use resistant materials if you are setting up inside on a smooth surface
Attach a length of string/chain to the top of the tripod – to hang down and attach a cooking pot at the other end.
Attach an ‘S’ hook or carabiner to the end of the string/chain, to make a simple and quick attachment point.
Set up a selection of containers for the cooking pot (two handled colanders are easier to hang). A selection will allow children to choose which one they want to use and use their problem solving skills to work out how to hang it up.
You could also supply a selection of clips or mini carabiners for easy attachment. Providing short lengths of string will allow for some knot tying practise and help with the challenge of hanging up a pot without handles!
Three points of attachment will help stabilise the pot.
Step #4 Time to cook
Now set up your play campfire and get cooking!
Be prepared for some marvellous treats to be cooked up for you!
If you want a ‘Here’s-One-I-Made-Earlier’ option you can buy a Muddy Faces campfire playset kit with instructions
Disclaimer: Muddy Faces cannot take any responsibility for accidents or damage that occurs as a result of following this activity.You are responsible for making sure the activity is conducted safely.