Hanging ice decorations
A simple yet effective and satisfying activity – if you can wait for the water to freeze!
Useful items from our shop
Consider the environmental impact of preparing, carrying out & completing this activity. Could this impact be reduced? Specific considerations for this activity could include:
- source of natural materials
- leave no trace
Health & Safety Considerations
Follow your usual operating procedures and carry out appropriate risk benefit assessments.
Some considerations particular to this activity include:
- using natural materials
What you'll need
- plastic or flexible vessels - cups, bowls, tubs, yoghurt pots etc.
- natural materials
This activity has been provided by
Fill your pots and vessels with water.
Place a loop of string or wool so both ends are in the water – make sure its well-dunked!
Leave the pots outside to freeze.
Push your decoration out of the pot.
Use the loop to hang it in a tree or bush.
Take it further:
- place natural materials in the water before freezing or pop in a small toy
- try a few drops of food colouring in the water – what happens to the ice?
- for flatter, round decorations use a saucer
- use clay or similar malleable material to create different shaped moulds
- you could do this activity in the summer by putting your pots on a tray in the freezer – hang them up and see how long they take to melt, or for your object to be released from the ice.
Disclaimer: Muddy Faces cannot take any responsibility for accidents or damage that occurs as a result of following this activity.You are responsible for making sure the activity is conducted safely.