Frozen ice-bowl lantern
Use household kit to create these effective ice & nature light features.
What you'll need
- 2 bowls that can sit inside each other
- plastic bag
- different sized & coloured leaves
Activity Provided by: Mandy Tullock - Mud Pie Adventures
Useful items from our shop
Consider the environmental impact of preparing, carrying out & completing this activity. Could this impact be reduced? Specific considerations for this activity could include:
- leave no trace - gather any non-natural materials once the lantern has thawed
Health & Safety Considerations
Follow your usual operating procedures and carry out appropriate risk benefit assessments.
Some considerations particular to this activity include:
- use gloves to protect hands
Pour water half way up the bigger bowl.
Float some leaves in it.
Put a plastic bag around the second bowl and lower it so there is a layer of water all around the bowl. You might need to pour in some water or add stones to stop the smaller bowl floating out.
Leave to freeze then pull the two bowls apart.
Place a nightlight inside your bowl.
Light it at dusk.
Take it further:
- make lots of ice-bowls of different shapes and sizes
- try putting food colouring or powder paint in the water before freezing
- create a path with a series of ice-bowls
Disclaimer: Muddy Faces cannot take any responsibility for accidents or damage that occurs as a result of following this activity.You are responsible for making sure the activity is conducted safely.