These simple painted discs make lovely tree decorations or tags for presents.
Useful items from our shop
Consider the environmental impact of preparing, carrying out & completing this activity. Could this impact be reduced? Specific considerations for this activity could include:
- source of wood
Health & Safety Considerations
Follow your usual operating procedures and carry out appropriate risk benefit assessments.
Some considerations particular to this activity include:
- tool use
What you'll need
- oval discs
- palm drill
- paint and paint brushes or felt tips/acrylic pens
- cotton wool
- glue / sticky tape
- you can use the same technique on any flat round object - paper plates, stones, lids etc.
This activity has been provided by
Cut or buy small oval shaped discs.
Drill small holes at the top of the oval if you can (see our drill a wooden disc activity), otherwise stick or glue a loop for hanging.
Paint the bottom half of your disc white and the top quarter red.
Allow to dry.
Paint a white rim and a bobble for the hat.
Leave to dry.
Add the eyes using a black marker pen.
Thread a string through the hole in the top to hang them up.
Take it further:
- you could use different-sized discs to have big and little Santas
- stick cotton wool on for the beard and, if you’re extra neat, the rim of his hat
- paint both sides of the disc – with different Santa faces, perhaps, or a different Christmas-themed picture like a robin or Christmas tree.
Disclaimer: Muddy Faces cannot take any responsibility for accidents or damage that occurs as a result of following this activity.You are responsible for making sure the activity is conducted safely.