Simple seasonal craft activity suitable for children. Paint a wooden disc and make a lovely tree decoration or tags for a present.
What you'll need
- oval discs
- palm drill
- paint and paint brushes or felt tips/acrylic pens
- cotton wool
- glue / sticky tape
- you can use the same technique on any flat round object - paper plates, stones, lids etc.
This activity has been provided by
Useful items from our shop
Consider the environmental impact of preparing, carrying out & completing this activity. Could this impact be reduced? Specific considerations for this activity could include:
- source of wood
Health & Safety Considerations
Follow your usual operating procedures and carry out appropriate risk benefit assessments.
Some considerations particular to this activity include:
- tool use
Cut or buy small oval shaped discs.
Drill small holes at the top of the oval if you can (see our drill a wooden disc activity), otherwise stick or glue a loop for hanging.
Paint the bottom half of your disc white and the top quarter red.
Allow to dry.
Paint a white rim and a bobble for the hat.
Leave to dry.
Add the eyes using a black marker pen.
Thread a string through the hole in the top to hang them up.
Take it further:
- you could use different-sized discs to have big and little Santas
- stick cotton wool on for the beard and, if you’re extra neat, the rim of his hat
- paint both sides of the disc – with different Santa faces, perhaps, or a different Christmas-themed picture like a robin or Christmas tree.
Disclaimer: Muddy Faces cannot take any responsibility for accidents or damage that occurs as a result of following this activity.You are responsible for making sure the activity is conducted safely.