- This event has passed.
Forest School Leader ITC Level 3 Award – HYBRID COURSE
Monday 25 May @ 12:30 pm - 4:30 pm£780
We’re the only Forest School training provider to incorporate the Floorbook Approach created by Dr Claire Warden, in our training. This child led approach to planning and documentation supports key learning associated with Forest School themes and many aspects of the Curriculum for Excellence. It allows the transfer of information and methodology back to the school, linking learning across the areas of inside, outside and beyond. The Floorbook Approach is currently promoted by Education Scotland, Care Inspectorate and other governing bodies as good practice.
This ITC qualification is approved by and meets the requirements of the Forest School Association.
Our Forest School hybrid course has been developed for staff who may struggle to take 5 days out of their busy lives to receive the traditional format of theory and practice in face to face training.
The course consists of 11 online modules exploring the theoretical aspects of Forest School. Within these you will be asked to reflect upon their own practice and document your learning. 5 pre-requisite modules will be provided upon your enrolment and payment. These should be completed prior to your face to face training, the remaining modules can be completed within 6 months of registration.
You will attend 2.5 days face to face training in the practical aspects of Forest School, during this time our trainer will assess your skill levels.
The course culminates in your creation of a Forest School portfolio to evidence the five Forest School Level 3 units of Delivery, Learning and Development, Planning and Preparation, Practical Skills and Woodland Environment. Supportive learning materials, remote trainer and online support are provided.
Learning Outcomes and Assessment Criteria:
– Understand the structures of woodlands.
– Know how to identify a range of flora and fauna.
– Understand the importance of flora and fauna identification for the Forest School Programme Leader.
– Understand the management of woodlands as a sustainable learning environment.
– Be able to deliver a Forest School programme.
– Understand relevant theories of learning and development and their application to a Forest School programme.
– Understand how a Forest School programme can support holistic development and learning.
– Understand the impact of behaviour on learning and development at a Forest School programme.
– Be able to reflect on your own Forest School training.
– Understand the development of the Forest School ethos.
– Understand the ecological impact of a Forest School programme.
– Know the relevant policies and procedures requires for a Forest School programme.
– Be able to plan a Forest School programme.
– Be able to facilitate a range of woodland skills appropriate to a Forest School programme.
– Be able to facilitate campfire management appropriate to a Forest School programme.
Course Involvement Level:
– 2.5 days face to face training in the outdoors.
– 11 online modules (estimated duration for completion 65 hours – including assignments and reflection time).
– Delivery of 6 sessions over 6 weeks whilst tracking the progress of 3 children.
– Portfolio evidence to be submitted within 1 year.
Mindstretchers will take responsibility for the delivery of the entire programme and this will include the registration of candidates with ITC, support with course bookings, the administration of course delivery, evaluation of course outputs and initial report, on-going and final reports regarding the contract. Methodology follows ITC guidelines. We believe in equal opportunities allowing candidates to present evidence through a range of techniques: video, written portfolio, artistic representation and Floorbooks.