Hanging ice decorations
A simple yet effective and satisfying activity – if you can wait for the ice to freeze!
Age Range: all ages
Duration: 3-4 hours
Time Of Day: any time
Category: art & creating
Fill your pots and vessels with water.
Place a loop of string or wool so both ends are in the water – make sure its well-dunked!
Leave the pots outside to freeze.
Push your decoration out of the pot.
Use the loop to hang it in a tree or bush.
Take it further
• Place natural materials in the water before freezing or pop in a small toy.
• Try a few drops of food colouring in the water – what happens to the ice?
• For flatter, round decorations use a saucer.
• Use clay or similar malleable material to create different shapes.
• You could do this activity in the summer by putting your pots on a tray in the freezer – hang them up and see how long they take to melt, or for your object to be released from the ice.