Fit it out
Section 4 of the Making a Mud Kitchen book.
Age Range: all ages
Duration: 3-4 hours
Time Of Day: any time
Category: outdoor play
Fit it Out
- An old cupboard or two; a dresser is perfect!
- Work top with plenty of surface to work at
- Something to be the cooker in pretend play (an old microwave can be very effective, having a very satisfying door to open and close, and buttons to push)
- Shelving above and behind the work surface, or a tall cupboard to one side
- A good basic selection of pots and pans, jugs and funnels, bakeware etc
- An interesting collection of common kitchen utensils, together with a few unusual and intriguing ones, such as an ice-cream scoop
- Plenty of bowls and containers, again a range of the common ones and a few special ones such as jelly moulds or ice-cube trays
- Supplies of natural materials in small containers and/or jars (lids that stay attached are ideal as they do not get lost)
- Plants for picking, mixing and grinding
- Enhancements for suitable occasions, such as a selection of food colourings, essences, herbs and spices, chalk for grinding and mixing, and ‘special’ ingredients to add the final magical touches to potions and spells
- A big washing up bowl, especially one sunk into the worktop, is very helpful as part of the play and for washing up afterwards.
Note, specific dressing up clothes are not needed!